First off, sorry for the unexpected outage. This is a rare event. It has been our commitment and is still our commitment to provide you with the best bill-sharing service possible. It was a stressful 24-hour event for us trying to get the service back up for you.
What happenedOur old hosting provider (Arvixe) was having some hardware issues and was unable to rectify the problem in good time. Hence, we had to expedit one of our ongoing projects to move to a more salable solution, which is AWS - this solution costs more, but should yield a more pleasant experience as our user base grows (it just means it'll cost us more in terms of operations).
Update: Site should be fully functional at this point :) thanks~!
What to do next time
Here are some tips as to what you can do if the server ever goes down (which shouldn't be normal)
- Check our Facebook & Twitter page: http://www.facebook.com/billsupcom, http://www.twitter.com/billsupcom
- Check our blog: we're now exposing it as a different URL in case there are DNS issues again: http://billsup.blogspot.com
- Contact us via Google forms (this works even when our site is down): http://goo.gl/Us1zO
Our commitmentWe really value you, and appreciate your patience with Billsup. We won't just abandon our users. On the web, servers go down once in a while, even to the best of us: what makes Billsup different is that we would do what we can to keep it running. We don't want a similar situation like Billmonk.
How you can helpBear with us as we continue to upgrade our servers to handle the heavier loads. If you want to support us financially, you can do so here. Any contributions:
- Will help us improve our service: better/faster servers that don't crash. Running algorithms like shuffling debts require powerful servers (and lots of math).
- Will go towards the operational costs and keep Billsup going before we implement a sustainable revenue model.
- Will help support the developers: your contributions will help us spend more time on Billsup instead of our normal jobs.
- Will help us feel appreciated. Perhaps it's a way of saying thanks, especially if you like our features
Thanks again for being with us,